Thursday 14 April 2011

heart's been stolen. eyes are swollen.

as much as i love my job, and the people i live with, it doesn't always come easily.

sometimes I really struggle to love one of the people I live with.

Her name is Ann, and she has Down Syndrome. She is funny and cute, she also loves the Real Housewives of Orange County, and she loves to take you out for coffee.

But man, she friggen drives me up the wall sometimes! She's super fussy, she moves things around so they are "just so" and it takes her forever to do anything. I know I need to be patient, but man, sometimes she makes me crazy!

I can't say she's ever been that fond of me either. She doesn't like me to help her with things and will often ask me to get Sam to help her even if I'm right there and ready. She doesn't like to run errands with me unless there is a guarantee of a Tim's run but will go on any trip with other workers, and she doesn't really ever like my cooking (I promise I'm a decent cook aha).

But last night I was sitting beside her at dinner, and she pulled her chair over to me to rest her head on my shoulder during prayer.

This melted my heart so much.

All my pent up frustration vanished, and I just loved her.

It's sad that after four months of trying so hard to really see beyond her flaws, it only took a moment to get over all that, and it happened with only 7 days left of working with her.

It was such a beautiful moment, and even though it happened so late, I cherish the fact that I happened before I leave.

I know it's super cliche, but it really is the littlest things that leave the biggest impact.

- ella faye

No comments:

Post a Comment