Thursday 23 June 2011

this territory goes uncharted.

don't get me wrong,

i love kids.

but I've found as I've gotten older that I don't know what to do with them.

this is my dilemma with Emma and Owen, my potential future step-brother and step-sister. 

They're fine kids, Emma loves barbies and music and can sing along to every Rihanna and Selena Gomez song, and Owen "pwns n00bs" at video games.  (that's right guys, I know the "lingo" bahaha)

But, I know what is okay and what isn't with my brothers. I can watch youtube videos with Bry and not worry about the level of appropriateness, he is in highschool afterall (I was corrupted by then, and if he wasn't before, he is now thanks to me), and Jared has quick wit and a sharp tongue. I know I can tease ad insult him and he will take it like a champ (and then proceed to come up with a remark to get me back when I least expect it.)

I don't feel like I can tease and taunt Emma and Owen, after all, they are pretty much still strangers.

I feel like I just sit around and look at them. It's like, when a 13 year old boy gets to hold someone's baby and it totally freaks them out and they just hold it like it's a small grotesque alien. With the exception that I don't hold Emma and Owen, I just awkwardly stand and look at them.

Maybe I'm a robot, and can't intake this new information! Or, what if my life is like the Truman Show, and this is all planned out, and they picked awkward children that I won't ever be able to figure out. Maybe they don't like my mom and will try and get rid of her through me. Maybe they love my mom but will try and eliminate her real children! Maybe they love me and will cling to me and I will have to forfeit my whole social life to make them happy! Maybe I should start looking up Barbie and Selena Gomez so I have some sort of Idea what to talk about, I mean, I'm already working on my COD skills, so that one is covered for Owen.

Okay, deep breaths, I know I'm being ridiculous. I just don't even know how to handle this new family dynamic! Seriously, I always wanted a sister, and now I'm freaking terrified of her. 

Right now, my life movie would be titled "awkward attack of the potentially alien siblings."

I think it has potential, this could be the next blockbuster!

the Kuna community in Panama 2007


- ella faye

No comments:

Post a Comment